Isla Contoy is a paradisiacal island located off the northeastern coast of the Yucatán Peninsula. The charming small island is situated at the confluence of the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea. The unspoiled island is 8.5 km in length and only 70 ft. at its narrowest point. It is famous for its diverse flora and fauna and is considered one of the most important nature reserves in the Mexican region. With powdery white sand beaches, palm-lined coastline, mangroves, extensive reef, and nesting ground for birds, Isla Contoy serves as a secluded getaway for tourists from across the world. The island is about 30 miles north of Isla Mujeres. You can take a boat or yacht charter from Cancun to discover this amazing natural reserve in the Mexican region.
Plenty of Things to Do and See
- Snorkeling: Cruise on a comfortable vessel while savoring your morning coffee and taking in the stunning views of the surrounding, to reach the gorgeous Ixlache Reef. The waters surrounding the reef are shallow and clear, so you can easily snorkel near the fringing corals, swim with turtles, and watch swirling schools of fish dance around the queen conches attached to the sea floor. Here you will see a variety of fish species. The Isla Contoy waters are home to 234 species of fish including sharks, stingrays and crustaceans. You will complete your snorkeling adventure in Ixlache Reef in an hour or two, which leaves time for Whale Shark watching or fishing.
- Exploring the Island: Embark on an ecological tour on foot to learn about this nature preserve. There is a hiking trail that you can follow to discover more about Isla Contoy or visit the local museum and relax on its powdery beach. You will see iguanas, hermit crabs, and friggits nesting on the island. On a guided tour, explore the pathways full of nature and see the island from another perspective.
- Nature Watching: Isla Contoy is a known bird sanctuary and home to more than 150 species of local and migratory birds, including frigate, brown pelican, double-crested cormorant, and hawksbill. It is also a nesting ground for sea turtles, such as leatherback, loggerhead, and green turtles. Walk through the mangrove forest to the fresh water lagoon where you will find many birds and reptiles. Isla Contoy is an amazing place for bird watching and observing the natural beauty that surrounds you, making it a wonderful experience for nature lovers.
- Dining: When you visit Contoy, enjoy the delicious Tikin Xic, an authentic Mayan dish prepared in the Meso-American style. The dish is prepared with adobo de Achiote, sour oranges, wrapped in a banana leaf, and cooked on wooden fire. Most of the restaurants in the island specialize in simple fresh seafood such as shrimp, scallops, calamari and lobster. You will love the grilled chicken served in the restaurants as it is prepared in Mayan-style barbecue. With fresh seafood, tropical-style drinks, impressive wines, and stunningly beautiful ocean view, you will love Contoy's culinary and natural diversity.
- Shopping: There is no big department store in Contoy, but you will find small souvenir shops here. The small stores sell colorful Mexican crafts, pottery and ceramics that you can take with you as memory of your travel trip.
Isla Contoy is protected by the Mexican government and was declared a nature reserve in 1998. Only supervised eco-tourism is allowed on the island. Daily 200 visitors are allowed to visit the island. Tourists need to apply for permission to visit the island at a park office or Yachts Cancun Luxury Charters can do it for you.
Take a day trip or extended charter to Isla Contoy from Mujeres or Cancun on aboard your own private charter. Whether you wish to swim in the pristine waters, snorkel at the reef or spend time on a deserted island paradise, we will help you experience it all. Explore our Cancun luxury yacht charters and plan your vacation to Isla Contoy today!