Mexico is known as a diving hub among outdoor enthusiasts, with beautiful scenery, amazing beaches and unparalleled scuba diving spots. Riviera Maya is probably one of the most popular scuba diving sites in Mexico after Cancun. Riviera Maya scuba diving activity is popular among adventure-seekers and tourists alike. From big animal encounters to a host of cenotes, Riviera Maya has it all. Mesoamerican reef runs from the Yucatan Peninsula all the way down to Belize, so there are some amazing dive sites in the Mayan Riviera. The crystal clear, warm waters and other idyllic conditions make Riviera perfect for both novice and advanced divers. If you are planning to visit Cancun, do visit these scuba diving sites in the Mayan Riviera:
- Playa del Carmen: While diving the Caribbean waters of Playa del Carmen, you will explore fabulous reefs. There are several reef dive sites that are easily accessible from the city of Carmen. At the Los Arcos dive site, you will find turtles, lobsters, moray eels, and crustceans. After 35 minutes, you will reach Cerebros dive site located at the north of Carmen. This area is rich in corals, reefs, sponges and brain. Pared Verde is another popular dive destination, situated just 25 minutes away from Playa. The dive wall at Pared Verde is covered with sponges, sea fans, turtles, stingrays and other colorful marine life. If you want to get a glimpse of bull sharks, then visit Jardines located 5 minutes from the Marina. Mama Vina is a wreck dive site. It is a former shrimp boat which was intentionally sunk in 1995 and is now full of coral growth. Other amazing dive sites near to Playa del Carmen include Sabalos, Chun-Zumbul, Moc-che, Tortugas and more.
- Cozumel: Just take a 1-hour boat ride from Playa del Carmen to reach Cozumel. It is consistently rated as one of best scuba diving sites near Riviera Maya. The water here is so clear that you can see up to a depth of 80-100 feet. From stunning coral reefs to spectacular marine species, Cozumel boasts unparalleled dive sites. Santa Rosa Wall is one of the most popular sites in Cozumel; here you will find sponges, caves, swim-through tunnels, sea turtles, eagle rays, and large groupers. Punta Sur Reef is a deep wall dive with caverns and fissures, bursting with marine life. Devil's Throat is filled with gorgonian sea fans and sea whips. Columbia Wall is a remote dive site teeming with eagle rays, turtles and large barracuda. While diving the waters surrounding Cozumel area, you are likely to find grunts, toadfish, hogfish, octopus, wrasse, trumpet fish and more.
- Cenotes: Diving in a cenote is an amazing experience. Riviera Maya is home to three largest underwater rivers in the world. The most spectacular one is Dos Ojos where you will find the world's finest fresh water caverns. After exploring Dos Ojos, you can relax on a hammock and enjoy a picnic lunch. Gran Cenote is a must visit dive site, located just outside of Tulum. Here you will find impressive stalactites and turtles. Other highly visited cenotes include Chac Mool, Ik Il cenote, Penderosa El Eden, Chak Tun, and Xcanché Cenote among others.
- Akumal and Tulum: Akumal's dive sites have amazing coral reefs and great visibility. Snorkelers and divers love to explore these sites because of its turtle population and spectacular reef structures. Xaak is a very special dive where reef fingers reach up to 30 feet height. Nurse sharks, turtles, and rays are common sightings here. Shallow dive sites in Akumal are Las Redes, Dick's Reef, Motorcycle Reef, and Yal-ku. Akumal also boasts pristine deep dive sites such as Trigger Fish, Gonzalo's Reef, Xa-Ak, and Tzimin-Ha. Tulum is known for its Mayan ruins, but it is home to some magnificent scuba diving sites in whole of Riviera Maya. Do visit these sites – Tankah deep, Sting Ray, La Piscina, and Coquitos.
- Puerto Morelos: Visit the Puerto Morelos National Marine Park to discover colored fish. There are many scuba diving sites in Puerto Morelos for divers to explore, such as a wooden wreck, a military boat, and an underwater garden area.
Take an extended charter to Riviera Maya from Cancun on aboard your own private charter. Whether you wish to explore the underwater world of Playa del Carmen or snorkel the popular cenotes, we will help you explore it all. Click here to see our collection of luxury yachts available for charter for your next Riviera Maya scuba diving vacation. To discover more about diving sites located in Cancun and the surrounding area, click on the link provided here. If you are new to diving, then check out how to plan your dive charter vacation with us here.