Cancun is a Mexican beach destination with countless exciting activities to do and adventurous water sports to try. Scuba diving in Cancun is just one of the many thrilling water activities that to enjoy here. The deep blue Caribbean waters surrounding Cancun is part of the world’s second largest coral reef, which has a labyrinth of vibrant sea life, colorful coral formations, hundreds of tropical fish, big marine animals and ship wrecks. Cancun is world-renowned for the water museum, reef diving and wreck diving, but these three unique scuba excursions will bring your diving experience to a whole new dimension. Check them out here!
1. Cancun Underwater Museum (MUSA)
Witness how beautifully marine life is evolving over more than 500 original sculptures kept under water in depths ranging from 9 to 20 feet during your Cancun Underwater Museum diving excursion. The artist behind this beautiful underwater museum creation is artist Jason deCaires Taylor. This monumental installation consists of more than 500 figurative sculptures, ranging from cars, people, dogs, and many more. During your MUSA diving tour:
• Enjoy the sights at Cancun's underwater art museum, which enables visitors to explore the relation between underwater environment, marine life and modern art.
• You can expect to spot vibrant marine species including turtles, moray eels, stingrays, angel fish, dolphins, and all marine life, making it one of the most beautiful and unique dive sites in Cancun.
2. Cancun Night Diving Tour
Night diving is a completely different experience than a day dive. The normal sea creatures that you see during the day is a completely different than the varieties of sea creatures which only come out during the night. In order to see what the dark sea has to offer at night, you will need the company of a very bright light. The experience of exploring night critters of all colors & sizes and multicolored reef formations are intensified at night.
• During your night diving excursion, visit Manchones, which is located at a depth of 40 feet and varies in width. You will find that the Manchones reef area looks completely different at night as compared to day time in that you can expect to spot octopus, lobsters, moray eels, and many other nocturnal marine species.
• Bioluminescence is an extraordinary experience that is possible only with night diving tours. There are certain planktons found in the waters surrounding Cancun area that get illuminated when in motion, causing the bioluminescence phenomenon.
3. Cenote Diving & Swimming Tour
Snorkeling, diving, swimming in the cenotes for a magical and unique experience. There are several cenotes located within an hour or two from Cancun. Cenotes are connected to widely stretched cave systems, forming the water filled cave and cavern complex. Cancun attracts cave and cavern divers from around the world. Below are two wondrous, mysterious cenotes found near Cancun where you can enjoy both swimming and diving:
• Boca del Puma: Situated 16 km west of Puerto Morelos, this cenote is located in the private Boca del Puma Eco Park. It not only allows you to enjoy cenote diving, but you can also take zip line and bicycle riding tours in the Eco Park.
• Cenote Verde Lucero: Located 18.5 km west of Puerto Morelos in the Selvatica Eco Park, Cenote Verde Lucero is easily accessible. Just walk down some steps to a lower tier, then a few wooden steps to reach the cenote. With a maximum depth of 66 feet and the average depth of 35 feet, swimming is also available around the cenote walls.
4. Sailfish Adventure Tour
Sailfish swimming and diving excursion is an amazing water adventure tour that you won't find anywhere else in the world. Sailfish is one of largest and most beautiful fish, and during your tour you will be able to swim alongside sailfish in their natural habitat. Be ready with more underwater surprises as you will be greeted by massive schools of sardines and may also spot dolphins and many more amazing creatures.
• You will be able to swim with one of the fastest fish in the ocean. Swim along side sailfish and watch them opening their back fins and see them catching sardines with remarkable precision.
• See the other amazing species such as Atlantic Spotted Dolphins, Manta Rays, Whale Sharks, Schools of Atlantic Bonitos and Huge Wahoos.
Diving in Cancun is one of the best opportunities to be inspired with the wondrous beauty of its underwater world. From beautiful corals, incredible reefs to colorful marine life, scuba diving in Cancun is an experience like no other! While you're in Cancun on your charter vacation, try these unique diving excursions – it will be a truly unforgettable experience!